Klara Overby & E. S. Duea Casper Overby
KLARA OVERBY AND E. S. DUEA CASPER OVERBY
Present and former residents of Romness Township honored Casper Overby and his wife, Ingrid, Sunday evening September 1, 1963. Township clerk for 50 years, Mr. Overby has served with 29 supervisors in that time. Thirteen of them are now dead:
Hans Pramhus, Peter Knutson, Fred Baker, Theodore B. Olson, Edward Johnson, Lewis Hilstad, Gust Arneson, Anton Skramstad, Carl Bue, Carl Fliserom, Ole Uleteig, Albert Olson and Nels Qualey.
Other supervisors with whom he has worked are C. A. Johnson, Oscar Idsvoog, Henry Olson, Martin Skramstad, Henry Mostad, Edwin Udgaard, Richard Qualey, Garfield Olson, Elmer Overby, Otto Knutson, Selmer Dahl and Myron Kjelgaard.
Udegaard acted as Master of Ceremonies for a program and other Township supervisors who had worked with Overby were seated beside a table taken from the Romness School across the road, used in Township elections. Each of them presented some item of interest concerning the 50 years Overby had served. They were Udgaard, Oscar Idsvoog, Selmer Dahl, Garfield Olson and Richard Qualey.
Musical numbers were given by Mrs. Overby's sister, Mrs. E. S. Duea of Sharon
and Sonia Hurum who sang a Norwegian song
a trio by Wanda and Linda Overby and Dawn Hedstrom
quartet number by Mrs. Lennis Stromsodt, Mrs. Elmer Overby, Mrs. Sherman Stromsodt and Mrs. Arthur Sola
and soloist, Jeanne Olson. Dennis Dahl played the accompaniment for these songs. Bernette and Bonnie Thompson also sang with Cheryl Thompson as the accompanist.
At the close of the program, gifts were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Overby and a reception was held in the church parlors. Casper Overby was presented a walnut and copper plaque inscribed "Presented to Casper Overby for fifty years of continuous service as Romness Township Clerk 1913-1963.€ Watches were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Overby by friends in Romness. Mrs. Overby has served in an unofficial capacity as coffee maker for the Township officers for 40 years.
(Griggs County Sentinel Courier, September 12, 1963)
Source: Griggs County History 1879 - 1976 Page 405