This settlement was founded about 1893 by Romanians who came here from Saskatchewan, Canada. The Soo Line Railroad arrived and a townsite was established in Sections 22 & 23-151-75, Anamoose Township. The post office was established September 7, 1898 with Albert Albrecht as Postmaster, and the village incorporated in 1922. The name is credited to the daughter of a Soo Line Railroad official, and is a corruption of the Chippewa word uhnemoosh, meaning female dog. It is a favorite of collectors of unusual place names. The elevation is 1620, the Zip Code is 58710, and a peak population of 669 was reached in 1910.(1, 2, 3, 18, 33, 40, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 5

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1