This Northern Pacific Railroad townsite was founded in 1899 in the northwest quarter of section 15-146-71, Haaland Township and was for several years the terminus of a branch line from Carrington. It was named, with local consent, for Bowdon, Cheshire, England, the birthplace of townsite owner Richard Sykes. The post office was established August 26, 1899 with Frank Lathrop as Postmaster, who also built the town's first business, a drugstore, and served as the mayor when the village incorporated in 1905. It became a city in 1952 with Lloyd Jones as mayor, and reached a peak population of 348 in both 1940 and 1950. The elevation is 1832, and the Zip Code is 58418.(1, 2, 3, 18, 38, 40, 79, 267, 364)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 21

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1