This was the lifetime passion of Albert B. Fox (1861-1947), who founded the townsite in 1899, platted it, and was appointed as Postmaster when the post office was established April 27, 1900. It was located in the southeast quarter of section 20-155-73, Tuscarora Township eight miles south-southwest of Rugby. He began the Brazil Grain & Shipping Co. to market the farmers' crops, and labored long and hard to entice the Great Northern Railroad to build a branch line into his little city. The railroad never came, and his dream town died. The origin of the name is unknown, although some say it was named for Brazil, Indiana, which was named for the country in South America. The post office closed October 31, 1914 with mail to Rugby. It reopened February 15, 1918 with Hazel A. Fox as Postmaster, but was closed for good by as Postmaster Hilma Dahl on December 31, 1930 with mail to Orrin. A peak population of 40 was reported in 1920.(2, 3, 18, 23, 40, 114, 149, 287)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 22

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1