This Milwaukee Road Railroad townsite was founded in Sections 22 & 23-130-97, Bucyrus Township in 1907 as WOLF BUTTE, and later that year changed its name to DOLAN. Because of confusion with Doland, South Dakota, the name was changed to BUCYRUS on February 11, 1908. Postmaster William N. Worra wanted to name it May for his daughter, but instead chose a compromise name that was taken from one of the steam shovels used to build the railroad grade at this site. The name originates in Bucyrus, Ohio, named by a surveyor named Kilbourne who coined the name by adding "bu", for beautiful, to Cyrus, a Persian general. Some sources say the name is derived from Busirus, an ancient city of Egypt. The elevation is 2775, and a peak population of 124 was reached in 1930, with a decline to just 32 in 1980. The post office, Zip Code 58624, closed April 19, 1984.(1, 2, 3, 10, 18, 33, 34, 40, 52, 79, 189)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 24

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1