This was a rural post office established May 12, 1914 with William Grant Heisler as Postmaster. He coined the name by using part of his wife's given name, CATHerine, and "MERE", meaning meadow, after postal officials had rejected Catherine. Others claim the name was chosen by Mrs. Charlotte Winter Walton, the area's first school teacher, without explaining its origin. It was located in the northeast quarter of section 19-149-103, thirteen miles south of Cartwright, and moved two miles south in 1917 to the southeast quarter of section 32-149-103. Mr. Heisler moved to California in 1920, and Henry Derudder, a Belgian immigrant, became Postmaster. The post office closed October 31, 1930 with mail to Cartwright.(2, 3, 40, 227)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 33

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1