This post office was established January 10, 1903 with Gustaf Bjorkman as Postmaster in the southeast quarter of section 16-163-94, Forthun Township but the order was rescinded February 3, 1903. On that date, however, a new order was approved, but with Columbus Larson as Postmaster, for whom the facility had been named. It is thought that this is the only place of this name in the United States not named for Christopher Columbus. An inland town began to form, but in 1906 it moved six miles southeast to the northwest quarter of section 32-163-93, Short Creek Township the site of a new Soo Line Railroad townsite. There was an attempt to name the new townsite NEW COLUMBUS, but instead the remains of the old site lingered on as OLD COLUMBUS. The Zip Code is 58727, and a peak population of 672 was reported in 1960.(1, 2, 3, 18, 33, 40, 52, 67, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 39

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1