This Great Northern Railroad terminus station was platted in 1903 in the southeast quarter of section 30-163-97, Fillmore Township and named for S. A. Crosby, a Portal businessman involved in the founding of this townsite. The post office was established June 25, 1904 with Samuel S. Nelson as Postmaster. In 1908 it was relocated one mile east to the southeast quarter of section 29-163-97, a site crossed by the Great Northern Railroad and the Soo Line Railroad, and by this action, in effect absorbing the old townsite of Imperial. When Divide County was organized in 1910, CROSBY was named the county seat, and won that honor officially in the 1912 election. It incorporated as a city in 1911 with J. C. Rousseau as mayor. The elevation is 1959, the Zip Code is 58730, and a peak population of 1,759 was reached in 1960. The original site became known as OLD CROSBY. (1, 2, 3, 18, 33, 40, 73, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 42

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1