This site was named PLEASANT VALLEY SIDING in 1880, but was renamed in 1881 for Wells Stoughton Dickinson (1828-1892), a land agent and politician from Malone, New York, who had visited here in 1880. His brother, Horace L. Dickinson, lived here to oversee its development. The post office was established October 6, 1881 with F. H. Longley as Postmaster. It became the county seat in 1883, incorporated as a village in 1899, and became a city in 1900 with Daniel Manning mayor. The elevation is 2430, the Zip Code is 58601, and the city has shown a steady growth, reaching a population of 15,893 in 1980. Dickinson State University opened here in 1921. DICKINSON is a Northern Pacific Railroad division point, has played a leading role in the energy boom, and is the major city of Southwest North Dakota.(1, 2, 3, 18, 25, 33, 34, 40, 52, 74, 79, 406)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 49

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1