This Soo Line Railroad station was founded in 1905 in the northeast quarter of section 12-159-85, Callahan Township midway between Tolley and Lansford. A thriving little village was incorporated in 1911, reaching a population of 112 in 1920. The post office was established July 27, 1905 with John Cleven as Postmaster. The population declined drastically, and the post office closed January 31, 1956 with mail to Lansford. Several versions exist to explain the name, several of which are interrelated. It was coined from the names of Charles GRAce and LaNO Robert Ortberg, newspapermen from Mohall, or it was coined from A. D. GReene and Charles LANG, Soo Line Railroad officials (Mr. Lano was the Mohall as Postmaster, or it was suggested by Mr. Lano from a trade name of a breakfast cereal, Grain-0, or some combination of the above.(2, 18, 38, 40, 52, 71, 75, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 79

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1