This was the first settlement in McIntosh County, founded in 1884 in Section 33-130-70, Hoskins Township on the shore of the lake which had been named by Col. Clement A. Lounsberry, founder of The Bismarck Tribune, for his wife's maiden name. The post office was established August 21, 1884 in the grocery store of Postmaster George W. Abbott. It was the county seat of McIntosh County from 1884 until 1888, when everything in the town except the school moved three miles east to the new Soo Line Railroad townsite of Ashley. The post office closed May 4, 1888 when Postmaster Thomas J. Lamunyon moved to Ashley.(2, 3, 40, 79, 134, 211)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 92

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1