A settlement named LIGNITE existed here 1894-1896, mainly to support local lignite mines. In 1897 a new settlement was founded in Sections 17, 18, 19 & 20-160-88, Kenmare Township and named KENMARE by the wife of a Soo Line Railroad official for Kenmore, Ireland. The post office was established April 30, 1897 with John H. Clapper as Postmaster. The village was platted in May 1899, and incorporated in December 1901. It has maintained a population of about 1,500 for many years, with a peak of 1,712 in 1950. Its elevation is 1799, the Zip Code is 58746, and it claims to be the only city in North Dakota with its business district built around a central park. It is the principal city of Ward County's so-called "Gooseneck", which resulted when neighboring Burke and Renville Counties excluded the region to prevent KENMARE from becoming the county seat of either of the new counties.(1, 2, 3, 18, 33, 40, 52, 79, 100)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 101

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1