Killdeer (Dunn County)
This city was founded in 1914 in the northwest quarter of section 23-145-95 as the terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad branch line built northwest from Mandan, and named to note the nearby Killdeer Mountains. The post office was established May 1, 1915 with George Norred as Postmaster, although his wife actually performed the duties of the office. It incorporated as a village in 1915 with J. F. "Jack" Whetstone as President of the Village Board. The elevation is 2258, the Zip Code is 58640, and a peak population of 791 was reported in 1980. The townsite attracted many settlers from nearby Manning and Oakdale, and is called "The Fawn City.
Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 103