This townsite in Section 1-133-61, Bean Township was platted in October 1882 by the Wells-Dickey Land Co. as a station for the Northern Pacific Railroad, which came in 1883. It was named for Judson LaMoure (1839-1918), who came to Dakota Territory from Quebec, Canada in 1860 before it was a territory, and served in the territorial and state legislatures until 1912. LaMoure County, and the villages of Jud and Judson are also named for Mr. LaMoure. The post office was established December 13, 1882 with Norris B. Wilkinson as Postmaster. It was designated as county seat in 1886, and incorporated as a city in 1905 with C. W. Davis mayor. The elevation is 1329, the Zip Code is 58458, and a peak population of 1,077 was reached in 1980 as the city has maintained a stability throughout the twentieth century.(1, 2, 3, 18, 25, 33, 40, 52, 79, 144, 152)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 108

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1