This Great Northern Railroad townsite was founded in 1907 in the northeast quarter of section 3-162-94, Keller Township about four miles south-southeast of the original inland townsite of Columbus, later known as Old Columbus, and about four miles west-southwest of the new Soo Line Railroad townsite of Columbus. At the suggestion of Gust Bjorkman and Ole Forthun, it was named for Columbus as Postmaster Columbus Larson, giving him the unusual distinction of having two adjacent townsites named for him. The LARSON post office was established September 23, 1907 with Herman E. deVilliers as Postmaster. The elevation is 1928, the Zip Code is 58751, and the village, which incorporated in 1911, reached a peak population of 114 in 1920, with a decline to just 21 in 1980. Local residents state that the post office closed in 1980, but government records do not confirm this statement. Larsons is an erroneous spelling.(1, 2, 3, 18, 34, 40, 52, 67, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 110

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1