A settlement called BARKER was here in 1886, and in the spring of that year the Great Northern Railroad founded the townsite of LEEDS in Sections 31 & 32-156-68, Leeds Township at the junction of the Great Northern Railroad and the Northern Pacific Railroad. It was named for Leeds, Yorkshire, England, an important manufacturing center dating back to 616 A. D. when it was called Loidis. The post office was established August 31, 1887 with Thomas Howrey as Postmaster. It incorporated as a village in 1899, and became a city in 1903 with Elisha Bartlett Page as mayor. The elevation is 1519, the Zip Code is 58346, and the peak population of 797 was reached in 1960. Dr. A. B. Lund (1880-1972) was the town doctor for sixty-five years beginning in 1907.(1, 2, 5, 10, 18, 25, 34, 40, 52, 79, 236, 257)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 111

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1