This was a Milwaukee Road Railroad station founded in 1910 in the southwest quarter of section 5-133-87, Valley View Township six miles southwest of Carson. It was named by railroad officials for Leith, Scotland, the seaport just north of Edinburgh, which dates from 1128, and bears a Celtic name meaning wide, in reference to the Firth of Forth at this site. The post office was established August 24, 1910 with Elmer E. Carter as Postmaster. The town had an initial boom, incorporating as a village in 1915 and reaching a peak population of 174 in 1930, but a sharp decline has reduced the count to just 40 in 1984. The elevation is 2353, and the Zip Code is 58551. The depot closed in 1964, the last train ran in 1982, and the track was taken up in 1983, as LEITH struggles to survive into the next century.(1, 2, 3, 5, 17, 19, 33, 40, 79, 175, 176, 177)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 112

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1