Some sources say this Great Northern Railroad station was intended to be named KINCAID, but since its founding in April 1907 in the northwest quarter of section 12-162-92, Vale Township it has been called LIGNITE to note the coal veins located in the area. Lignite coal is partially carbonized fossil wood retaining its woody fiber. The post office was established April 22, 1907 with Thorvald Kopsland as Postmaster. LIGNITE was a principal contender for county seat honors when Burke County was organized in 1910, but it lost to Bowbells. The elevation is 1575, the Zip Code is 58752, and the village, which incorporated in 1915, reached a peak population of 355 in 1960.(1, 2, 3, 5, 18, 33, 34, 40, 52, 67, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 113

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1