The first settlers were here in 1872, and it was known as MORTON and LINCOLN before officially becoming MANDAN, for the Indian tribe of that name, on December 14, 1878. MANDAN is derived from Mantahni, or people of the river bank. Postmaster Arthur Linn adopted the new name March 3, 1879, but on March 11, 1879 new Postmaster Andre Thompson changed the name to CUSHMAN. The MANDAN name was restored September 26, 1879 by popular demand. MANDAN occupies about half of Township 139-81, on the west bank of the Missouri River opposite Bismarck, and is the county seat of Morton County. It incorporated as a village in 1881, and has grown steadily to a city of 15,496 in 1980. The elevation is 1667, and the Zip Code is 58554. It is a major railroad center, and is the home of the State Industrial School.(1, 2, 3, 18, 33, 40, 44, 79, 107, 343)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 120

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1