This is a community founded in 1954 in Section 14-149-94, thirty miles east-southeast of Watford City, as the Western Segment Sub-Agency for the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, and was intended to be a home for those people displaced by the rising backwaters of the Garrison Dam. The name was suggested by Father Reinhard Kauffman, a longtime Roman Catholic missionary on the reservation, using parts of the names of the three affiliated tribes here-MANdan, HiDAtsa, and REE, or Arikara. The post office was established May 20, 1955 with Mrs. Beatrice E. Balliet as acting Postmaster. Her appointment became official July 1, 1955. The Zip Code is 58757, and a population of 115 was reported in 1960.(2, 3, 28, 33, 40, 289)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 120

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1