This was a rural settlement founded in 1887 in the southwest quarter of section 14 & northeast quarter of section 22-163-60, Mount Carmel Township thirteen miles north of Langdon. It was named by Father Bickland, a local Roman Catholic priest, for the mountain in Israel where the Order of the Lady of Mount Carmel was founded in the twelfth century. Carmel is a Hebrew name meaning cultivated land. The post office was established April 13, 1887 with Jacob Schneider as Postmaster. A population of 190 was reported in 1940, which surely included outlying areas, although the townsite itself had a population of about 50 for many years, and still exists although the post office closed April 21, 1967 with mail to Langdon. Mount Carmal is an erroneous spelling.(1, 2, 3, 10, 18, 25, 40, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 133

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1