This was a rural post office established May 27, 1873 with John Otten as Postmaster in the southeast quarter of section 25-164-54, Felson Township. Several stories tell of how the name was selected, the most likely being that Charles Cavileer coined it from the Ojibway Indian word nidji, meaning friend, neighbor, or one like myself. The post office closed October 29, 1873 with mail to Pembina. It reopened December 6, 1875 with Joseph Daniels as Postmaster, and in 1882 moved one mile southeast to the new Great Northern Railroad townsite in the southwest quarter of section 31-164-53, Neche Township. The village incorporated in 1883, and became a city in 1954 with Howard Hughes as mayor, who shared only his name with the famous billionaire. The elevation is 838, the Zip Code is 58265, and a peak population of 615 was reached in 1940. William L. Walton manufactured automobiles here 1902-1906. Native son Henry Gurke, killed in action during World War II, had a United States Navy destroyer named for him.(1, 2, 3, 13, 18, 33, 40, 79, 108, 235)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 135

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1