This was the townsite developed by the Sanish Van Hook Relocation Townsite Corp. with government backing to replace Sanish, Van Hook, and Elbowoods, all of which were being inundated by the backwaters of Garrison Dam in the early 1950's. The site was platted in August 1950, with initial settlement beginning the following month. The name was never officially voted upon, but became generally accepted because of signs in the area that referred to the area as the "New Town Site. Residents did not like the original one-word spelling, NEWTOWN, and the name was officially changed to NEW TOWN on May 1, 1953. Hulbert J. Olson was the first Postmaster, and Paul McCutheon was the first mayor. The Soo Line Railroad arrived here on September 22, 1953 with Sen. Milton R. Young driving the ceremonial golden spike. The Zip Code is 58763, and it had a population of about 1,000 almost immediately, peaking at 1,586 in 1960.(2, 3, 33, 40, 72)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 138

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1