This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1901 in Section 17-155-80, Norwich Township and named for Norwich, England to please stockholders from that country. The English city dates from about 700 A. D. was the site of an early-day mint, and appears in 1002 A. D. as Northwic. While Americans generally pronounce the name Nor'-witch, the English say Nor'-idge. The post office was established February 14, 1901 with Frederick Blocher as Postmaster. The elevation is 1531, the Zip Code is 58768, and a peak population of 200 was claimed in 1920, although the count has been well under 100 for the last fifty years.(1, 2, 3, 5, 18, 25, 33, 40, 79, 182)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 142

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1