This Great Northern Railroad station was platted as RUGBY JUNCTION, but since its founding in 1886 has been almost universally called simply RUGBY, for Rugby, Warwickshire, England. This was one of many Great Northern Railroad stations that were given English names. The post office was established December 6, 1886 with Nels Jacobsen as Postmaster. It is the county seat of Pierce County, and a stone monument built in 1931 marks the site as the geographical center of North America. The elevation is 1567, the Zip Code is 58368, and a peak population of 3,343 was reached in 1980. RUGBY incorporated as a village in 1897, and became a city in 1905 with A. H. Jones mayor.(1, 2, 10, 40, 44, 52, 114)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 168

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1