This Northern Pacific Railroad station was founded in 1881 in the north half of section 33-140-93, Taylor Township and named ANTELOPE. On September 4, 1882 it was renamed by Lyman N. Cary, General Land Agent of the Northern Pacific Railroad at Mandan and a promoter of the site, for his friend David Russell Taylor (1846-1926), a native of Vermont who was also a Northern Pacific Railroad official at Mandan, later founding a well known drugstore in that city. ANTELOPE as Postmaster John M. Tracey (1850-1921) continued in that position after the name change. The elevation is 2512, the Zip Code is 58656, and the village, which incorporated in 1912, reached a peak population of 285 in 1920. Richard Elkin, a longtime North Dakota Public Service Commissioner, was born here in 1932.(1, 2, 18, 25, 33, 40, 74, 79, 263, 407)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 191

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1