This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1902 in Section 27-157-95, Tioga Township and named by settlers from Tioga, New York, which was given an Iroquois Indian name meaning peaceful valley. The post office was established December 5, 1902 with Nels W. Simon (1865-1933) as Postmaster. The elevation is 2240, the Zip Code is 58852, and the village incorporated in 1909. Oil was discovered April 4, 1951 on the Clarence Iverson farm eight miles south of town, and TIOGA became the center of the Williston Basin oil boom. Its population went from 456 in 1950 to 2,087 in 1960, with the 1980 population being 1,595 as oil production and exploration has stabilized.(1, 2, 3, 18, 25, 33, 40, 50, 52, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 194

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1