This Soo Line Railroad townsite was founded in 1903 in Sections 20 & 21-146-82, Underwood Township and named for Fred D. Underwood, Soo Line Railroad Vice President, who lived at the time in Enderlin. He later moved back east and served as President of the Erie Railroad. The town was platted in July 1903, and the post office opened August 10, 1903 with Rose A. Ward as Postmaster. The village incorporated in 1908, the Zip Code is 58576, and the population reached a peak of 1,343 in 1980 as a result of the boom in the energy industry. The well known artist and religious leader, Clell G. Gannon, was raised here.(2, 3, 18, 23, 28, 40, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 198

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1