This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1912 in Section 31-154-78, Falsen Township on the Surrey cutoff line midway between Simcoe and Karlsruhe. It was originally named FALSEN, but on March 1, 1925 the name was changed to VERENDRYE to honor Pierre de la Verendrye (1685-1749), the French explorer who in 1738 led the first party of white men into what is now North Dakota. The village never exceeded 100 in population, and the post office closed November 5, 1965 with mail to Bergen.(2, 3, 13, 40)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 200

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1