This Great Northern Railroad townsite was founded in 1902 in the northwest quarter of section 35-156-98, Wheelock Township. The post office was established August 1, 1902 with James W. Maloney, the townsite owner, as Postmaster. The town was named for Ralph W. Wheelock, an editorial writer with The Minneapolis Tribune who had written a nice article about the new townsite. WHEELOCK was platted in 1902, and incorporated as a village in 1916. The elevation is 2387, making this the highest Great Northern Railroad station in North Dakota. A peak population of 115 was recorded in 1930, but by 1970 only 21 people resided here. The post office, Zip Code 58855, became a rural branch of Ray on February 25, 1966.(1, 2, 3, 18, 40, 50, 79)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 207

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1