This is a government-built village centered around a school in Section 2-148-88, White Shield Township six miles south of Roseglen. It was founded in 1954 to replace the town of Elbowoods which was inundated by Lake Sakakawea. The name honors White Shield, a famous chief of the Arikara, and a onetime scout for Gen. George A. Custer. Albert Waubaunsee was the first principal of the school. Reports of a short-lived post office here in the mid-1980's are unconfirmed.(3, 28, 278)

Source: North Dakota Place Names Page 208

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1